Re: I am back

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: I am back

Post by bulbasteve on 2/5/2013, 03:46

Apparently only Skot can reply in the announcement form, the post if anyone can't click to the other thread:

So, after finally getting out of my PhD and coming back home (and all
the mess of adapting to a new life in a new country), I come to the
realization that... rAthena is dead?

Apparently there was yet
another fork, this time for a project called Prometheus (or something),
while the ONLY active dev for rAthena is still Playtester (eA forum
name), with whom I spoke some days ago.

What the heck? It's stuff
like this that makes me think I should just give up on RO. To make
matters worse, my cousin showed me Guild Wars 2 the other weekend, and I
really liked what I saw. Things like equipment dyes, transmutation
stones, dynamic events, automatic level adjusters and everybody having
their own healing/resurrection abilities... these are all very
much the things I wanted to get to with MouRO. Basically, I am feeling
with a slight sense of loss: wouldn't it be a waste to spend more energy
on MouRO when there's already a professional solution out there in the
form of GW2?

If there are still players interested in Mou, then I
certainly don't want to close the server. Development is probably gonna
be a little hard, since I have to start again from zero (read: I need
to figure out how to download the client, and get that to work on my
machine before I can do anything else), but now I certainly have more
time to spent on it, compared to the past.

There are many posts I
missed out while I was on my crunch month before the end of my
contract, so who knows what else am I missing? Did I just write all this
for nothing and the server is already dead?

Time to read...

I just happened to pop on the forum cause I saw that RO2 hit Steam and anytime I hear anything about RO I wax a little nostalgic about here.

I do out of morbid curiosity pop on the server once in a blue moon to see if something drastic happened. I just went on there and somehow there will still two venders on....so that means activity, unless they have been on in the same spot for 5 months! Shocked

I would say you shouldn't close the server (if I remember it doesn't actually cost you anything, right?). But maybe make it clear that it is, I don't know.... "archived"? It is nice to think that someday a bunch of people would be nostalgic all at once and set up a nice little party.

Should you actively develop it? I don't think anyone could tell you to do it if you aren't motivated to. I guess the understanding just has to be that the uphill battle isn't just against the "pay to win" donation servers but more and more every day on the apathy that time brings to people wanting to play a decade old game.

I do think your time should be sent developing something though! You have a design philosophy that is pretty unique in MMO's. Ever think of developing your own game?
bulbasteve

Male Posts : 2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Re: I am back

Post by Vitriol on 5/5/2013, 00:58

great input!

here's what i think!

Vitriol

Male Posts : 651

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Skotlex on 7/5/2013, 16:26

I think the only reason Vitriol hasn't gotten banned (again) is that these places would be even more deserted and depressing.

Though lame and deserted is not exactly a step up, I think.

Thanks for the feedback, Bulba, but I doubt I have any real design ability that can't be found by others easily. I personally prefer spending my time scratching whatever itch I get in computers, which is how Mou came to be, really. I liked the game concept, but the execution left quite a bit to be desired.

On the other hand, from what my cousin has told me, and what I've seen of Guild Wars 2, that game looks like I hardly need to change anything to enjoy it!

I am even planning to drop out of computer science and move to another field, though. Hmm. Well, I'll read a bit around and see what happens.
Skotlex
Admin

Male Posts : 396

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Fruit Pie~ on 7/5/2013, 22:28

I have a Computer Science (well, Software Engineering, but same thing really) degree, and lemme tell you, it's not worth it. I thought you were doing something else?

Well, short of it is that all my computer knowledge got me is a job carrying boxes all day. I assume that's hardly what you want.

Also, MouGW2, do it. It is inevitable. Fix Necromancers (play minion master to level 20, you'll understand) and I'll play and subsequently give you all of my money.

But yeah, don't close this server, man. =/ Leave it as a cool "legacy" sort of thing, it's the one server I keep coming back to (and I feel that's also true of everyone else who still posts here).

Fruit Pie~

Female Posts : 167

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lothar Axe on 7/5/2013, 22:33

Fruit Pie~ wrote:Leave it as a cool "legacy" sort of thing, it's the one server I keep coming back to (and I feel that's also true of everyone else who still posts here).
Number 1 Lothar Approves Comment.
Lothar Axe

Male Posts : 275

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vitriol on 8/5/2013, 00:11

Skotlex wrote:I think the only reason Vitriol hasn't gotten banned (again) is that these places would be even more deserted and depressing.

Though lame and deserted is not exactly a step up, I think.

ooh...looks like i hit a nerve!
don't worry. i'm sure that if you ask your girlfriend nicely, she will oblige and open up for anal play. you must be tired of missionary by now.

but hey, you know i'm always here for you honey. just give me a call when you need a helping hand (or a warm hole)
Vitriol

Male Posts : 651

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Fruit Pie~ on 8/5/2013, 01:15

I don't know or care about what Vitriol's written up there (I've him and his messages blocked), but why isn't he banned again?

I THINK I like this better when it's deserted.

Fruit Pie~

Female Posts : 167

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by to3phu on 9/5/2013, 16:54

All I play now days is Dota and SC as the only "MMO" I play. I'm in for MouGW2 though. Also nothing wrong with keeping mou up and running, unless its costing you lol
to3phu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum